Re: [OM] Kodak Tropical Cabinet

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak Tropical Cabinet
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:47:34 -0800

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 04:38  AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

In April of 1999 there was a short thread running on protecting lenses from fungus. Doris Fang briefly described Kodak's design for a "Tropical Cabinet" which was a closed cabinet with ventilated shelving heated with incandescent light bulbs. The idea was that the light bulbs raised the temperature in the cabinet above the ambient and thus reduced the relative humidity level.

Today I went looking for plans for such a cabinet; first on Kodak's site and then a much broader search on Google. I found lots of hits regarding humidity controlled "dry cabinets" or sealed containers using a dessicant but didn't find anything like what Doris had described.

Anybody have any more specific detail on the design of the "Tropical Cabinet"

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

My memory of Doris' message was that Kodak provided a construction plan. I don't know whether it was in a book or available separately. She either built it or had it made to the Kodak instructions. She said it was vented at the top and bottom and the incandescent lamp used for the heater was in the bottom to provide convection warm air circulation.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA