Re: [OM] Re: Backpack vs shoulder bag.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Backpack vs shoulder bag.
From: Bernard Frangoulis <bernard.frangoulis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:37:41 +0100
At 10:22 19/02/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>From: Bernard Frangoulis <bernard.frangoulis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I cannot imagine having my lenses in a
>backpack. Say you are visiting a town, a market, etc., photographing people
>and the town itself - with a backpack, for each photo, I would have to
>remove the backpack, put it on the ground, get the camera, change the lens
>if necessary... With a shoulder bag, I have everything readily accessible...

I love backpacks -- with qualifications.

My LowePro has a handle on the side and a clip-on shoulder strap. The straps tuck into zippered pockets when not needed. It is BOTH a backpack AND a shoulder bag!

Another thing I do is carry a small waist pack in addition to the backpack. I put my "working kit" in the waist pack (a.k.a. "fanny pack" to Mercans -- but don't call it that in "English speaking" countries... :-) and yet have stuff I need in the backpack if (for example) I stroll from an architectural setting into a garden or park (switch the shift and wides for the macros).

I'll try this perhaps... Keep the camera and most used gear in the smallest Domke (shoulder) bag, the rest in a backpack.

Another question is... should I bring the tripod (Manfrotto 190 with small magnesium head)? Hauling it around in India will be a pain... Maybe I can keep it in the big backpack (where my clothes etc. are), leave it at the hotel, carry it only when I think it will be used.

Bernard