[OM] OM] Backpack vs shoulder bag. Was: Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solu

Subject: [OM] OM] Backpack vs shoulder bag. Was: Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solutions - Timbuk2?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:57:26 -0800
I carry a backpack all the time but couldn't imagine not having
lenses rotating through pockets or sometimes a small Domke
shoulder bag for quick access ... I haven't tried walking very far
with a 80-200 f2.8 in a pocket.  ;^)

Even when taking pictures of rocks, having to get into the
backpack for every lens change isn't really workable. I sure
wouldn't want to carry all the "bare necessities" in either pockets
or a shoulder bag though. I think what one considers bare
necessities can make a backpack also necessary.

Walking around San Francisco carrying a camera mounted on a
small tripod, a couple lenses stuffed into pockets, and wearing
a backpack seems much easier than any but the smallest
shoulder bags. YMMV!
-jeff

 Sure, carrying a
shoulder bag can be a pain in the a**, but the advantages are
determinant
for me. Under other circumstances, for instance photographing landscape
only, I can imagine the backpack is OK.