Re: [OM] Spot-metering madness

Subject: Re: [OM] Spot-metering madness
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:33:52 -0500
Hi Carlos,

At first glance these results of  Spot readings on an OM4 seem in keeping
with the news that the Spot meter is not a professional's tool.

But let me ask you this:  Did you examine the meter reading using the
averaging meter each time you switched lenses?

If not, it's possible that each one of them was conveying the location of
the aperture with some variation from the [single] reference measurement.

What I mean is, if you reading was f/8 at a given shutter speed using
averaging, then you switch to a different lens (with a different aperture
coupling of course), and take a spot reading, you've changed two variables,
not one.  I'm not criticizing but consider my opinion that you will have
valid comparisons when you compare Spot to Averaging for *each lens.

Thanks.

All the best,

Lama