Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT? What do you think? (Now Leica shooters)

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) OT? What do you think? (Now Leica shooters)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:36:35 -0800

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 01:19  PM, Skip Williams wrote:

I seem to have survived OK. But the overwhelming impression I have from viewing maybe 15 images is, as I discussed a couple of digests ago, L***ca users seem to involve people and their activities in their photography much
more than we do.

My sentements exactly. When I bought and used my first Leica about 5 years ago, I was immediately struck by how my pictures changed. I found myself not "hiding" behind the camera as much. Why? Well, A Leica or similar rangefinder is best used with both eyes open and your right eye looking through the finder. IMO, this way you stay more in touch with your subject. With the Leica's capabilities for ultra-short reaction time (~15 milliseconds between press and release of the first curtain) you get expressions and moments that are very difficult to capature with many other cameras (SLR's aren't really bad, but most digitals are hopeless in this regard). It sounds hokey, but for me, it's true. FYI, I'm a left-eye'd shooter with SLR's and right-eye'd with RF's.

Skip

I am not much of a people photographer, but I would agree with the connnectedness conclusion. When you can see outside the frame through the viewfinder, framing is very different. It is comparable to framing by moving a picture frame at arms length compared to looking through a tube. You see things frequently at the edge that you decide to include which you might have overlooked with an SLR.

What is often criticized as clutter and lack of a full sized image in the viewfinder is frequently an advantage. It is true that you may not see all the detail as in an SLR finder, what it forces you to do is look at the overall composition more carefully. It has to be strong to compete with the clutter. That is why, I think, a number of people on the list have installed gridded screens in their OMs.

Range finders are not nearly as versatile as SLRs, but for what they do, they do it very well.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA