[OM] 300/4.5 on e*bay UK

Subject: [OM] 300/4.5 on e*bay UK
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:21:11 +1300
Hi Bernard & all

> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3002491354&category=3344
>
> The lens is described as "near mint" but what are these
> specks/spots/thingies on the glass?
> Anybody has experience with "Olympus man UK"?
>
> Bernard
I have bought one lens from Alan House. It is a Zuiko MIJ.  I got it at a
*good*
price.

I was disappointed with just two aspects of the sale.

The packaging was woefully inadequate. A very flimsy cardboard package
made up of trimmed-to-size UK laundry detergent box (very thin card), with
just a little newspaper as padding. I think it was just the compact and small
size of this lens that got it to me OK.

Maybe he was annoyed at selling at such a low price; I notice he has been a
lot more careful about his auction start prices and reserves since.

Secondly, there happens to be more dust particles etc inside the lens than I
ever thought from the photos and what he said or didn't say.  Probably not
significant for photo quality, but I should have known.

SO; I would ask a lot of questions about the quality of that lens. I notice
that
although it has the (essential) tripod mount, he does not show the metal front
cap. Since the front diameter is 72 mm, I regard the screw-in metal cap as
absolutely essential. There's a lot of glass in there.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-and-Cameras/Cameras-Photographic-Equipment/auction-2913254.htm

Above is a similar one for sale in my city right now for about E130 (reserve
not yet met). No tripod mount, but has the front cap, and the glass looks
clean.

You could ask if I can inspect prior to posting. I will happily do that.

Cheers

Brian