Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3885

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3885
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:24:54 -0500
At 20:12 2/11/03, Bill Pearce wrote:

" Reportedly has an issue with the head rotation becoming slightly loose
under *hard* use."
News to me. I've had mine 8-10 years, no looseness at all.

My remark was based on several reviews I read . . . but it was also evident from context they were being "rode hard and put away wet" too. Some owners expect their gear to withstand anything they can dish out to it. Supposedly it is similar to a 383 Super body with a bare tube head on top. If so, I've had a 383 Super for quite some time and it has no looseness either. The 544 and 555 handles also have a similar tilt/swivel design and neither of them has any objectionable wobble.

There's another, Lumiquest, I think, but not sure. It's even got modeling
lights. Super expensive, starts around $1000 equipped. That's getting too
close to the battery powered monolights and pack units. If I shot weddings,
I might think different, though.

I had forgotten about these. You're thinking of Lumedyne (Lumiquest makes light modifiers). Norman has a similar system. Both of their "industrial looking" designs remind me more of battery pack studio heads adapted and miniauturized to fit on a camera bracket than of an on-camera flash. Both companies make studio lighting.

Lmuidyne's Signature Series has models that allow use of either Metz and Quantum TTL modules. AFIK, Norman's units don't allow any TTL control, although they do have variable power settings. Very much like an electronic version of a flashbulb, complete with using GN's and subject distance to set exposure by adjusting lens aperture (and/or lamp head power level). Yep, easily $1k - $1.5k by the time one buys the battery, charger, cables and mounting hardware to put it on a bracket. I can buy a pair of high power AC monolights, stands and a couple types of umbrellas new for less cost than getting just *one* of these things to bolt onto a camera.

I finally got to look at a Quantum "in the flesh" at my cousin's wedding last Fall. Sturdy, beautiful build quality, and made for continuous, hard duty, but I'll likely end up with a 120J TTL later this year unless I win the Lotto.

-- John