[OM] NiMH batteries; 21/2; full-frame digital cameras; agitation

Subject: [OM] NiMH batteries; 21/2; full-frame digital cameras; agitation
From: "William Sommerwerck" <williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:38:43 -0800
> The instruction sheet with my new (to me) T18 indicates that
> NiCd batteries should not be used... How about NiMH? And,
> by the way, why NOT NiCds? Is it the lower voltage, too much
> current? I'm pretty happy with NiMHs in my T32 and T20...

It might be that the voltage is too low, but this is unlikely, as most
battery-operated devices are designed to work down to about 1 volt per cell.

The most-likely explanation is that the source impedance of NiCd cells is
"too low" and the flash will draw too much current, possibly overheating.
NiMH cells have an even lower impedance, so this "goes double" for them.

I don't know if a LNIB 21/2 is "really" worth $1200, but it's a unique lens,
as far as I know. There is no other 20 or 21mm lens that fast. (Yes, I own
one. I bought it when it was "affordable.")

There is another reason for companies to produce digital cameras with
full-frame sensors. It would let them continue to manufacture their current
line of lenses -- which would fit both film and digital bodies. That
benefits the manufacturer as well as the customer.

> There is good illustration of it in Ansel Adams' "The Negative."
> Threee versions of the same negative -- one constantly agitated,
> one agitated couple of times every couple of minutes, one not
> agitated at all. Differences between them are stunning.

Every seen old newsreels in which there are long, light, vertical vertical
streaks above dark objects? This is due to insufficient or incorrect
agitation. (I don't have time to explain the reason.) You can even see it in
"Fantasia." above the baby black flying horse.