Re: [OM] RE: Bokeh (was) - OT

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Bokeh (was) - OT
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:42:40 +1300
Hi Robert et al

> Heh...I run into kids at school all the time who don't really know why
> they're there. Someone in my photography class the other night told me
> she was majoring in sociology with a minor in art and when I asked her
> what she intended to do with it she told me she wasn't sure, but she
> hoped she could find something to do that  ... (wrote Robert)

It's the REALLY lucky ones who can make /have made a decision early in
their life about what they want to do with / in their life, and are absolutely
certain about that.

For the rest, mostly they need time to get life experience, and pick up useful
skills along the way. Sometimes they need a lot of time as they mature and
grow. Some are late in maturing. We are not all the same. Some never find a
vocation that really grabs them, but they still have to keep trying.

How can anybody sensibly expect a kid with no real experience of life to
make a decision that will apply for much of the rest of their life? Even with
careers counselling at school, it is not easy.

What I liked about the employment scene in the UK in the 1960s was, that
employers looking for University graduates didn't care a lot about WHAT the
graduate had studied; as I understood things, what they were looking for was
evidence that the person had learned to think.

I was lucky; even though I was not totally rapt with my chosen vocation at
the start, a years'  practical experience at the sharp end straight after
secondary school did decide me.

Brian