Re: [OM] (OT) Strange Times (long)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Strange Times (long)
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:01:07 -0800
Well, I don't think the world in general objected too much with the elder Bush staging a war with Iraq when they'd attacked a neighboring nation. That falls under your Hitler analogy (kind of). BTW, by comparing Saddam to Hitler you, of course, violated Godwin's Law.

http://web.morons.org/feature/rants/godwin.jsp

Godwin's Law /prov./ [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups.

Anyway...

I think that the problem most people have to the current plans for war are centered around the fact that Iraq hasn't engaged neighboring nations in any military capacity and, in fact, appears to be in compliance with U.N. inspectors. That's really not much at all like Hitler marching into Poland. It's more like getting out of college and remembering the school bully that you beat the shit out of your sophomore year in high school and working yourself up over it so much that you go buy a handgun, find out where he lives now and kick in his front door while he's having dinner with his wife. ;-)

-Rob