Re: [OM] Which lens with the converter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which lens with the converter?
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 23:29:32 -0500
Hmm.  Let's add it up, for $155 USD (Skip's average price) you get a 50/3.5
macro but to use it at a nice working distance for tabletop photographs, you
need a macro-focusing teleconverter which is about $50 USD.  Or for $139,
you can get a Series1 90mm macro.

For less money you get  f / 2.5 instead of  f / 7.  (That's more than 2
whole stops- more than four times as much light.)  It's like getting a 180
f2.8 for less than the price of a 200/5.

Whew, I'm right again.  This is getting scary.  So, Keith, I guess I agree
with myself- sell the 50, sell the Vivitar adapter and get some kind of
purpose-built 90 macro.

Not really.  Use the tools you have.  Try one frame of each.

I was gonna suggest using a tape measure to set focus- a technique they use
when making movies in low light but it wouldn't work if the converter has a
helical.  (It would work perfectly with the purpose-built 90 macro though.
"Precisely 247mm from the focal plane- coming right up.")  Duh!  I'm right
again!

Lama

From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>