Re: [OM] Baby Chick - Was For Sale 90mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Baby Chick - Was For Sale 90mm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 14:57:25 -0800
Yeah, I know what you mean. Squirmy little critters, including my grandaughters, are hard to photograph. My little Canon S110 has the same issues you are dealing with. I do find that if I partially depress the shutter button, thus locking the focus where I want (locks exposure too), I can reframe to get the composition, then wait for the subject to be in the right place looking the right way and finish pressing the button with minimal exposure lag. Most of the lag on my camera is in the autofocus.

I lived for a few years with a woman who volunteered for a wildlife hospital and rehab outfit. She specializes in hummingbird rehabilitation at home, so much of the year we'd have cages of abandoned babies and injured or sick adults around. Hummingbirds come out of the egg naked, no feathers at all, at about the size of a small jelly bean. A lot of work, but quite worthwhile. We baby sat a bunch of baby squirrels for a few days once for a friend of hers. Incredibly cute and interesting little critters, but I could never care for them myself. The birds just go to sleep all night and only need care and feeding during daylight hours. Those squirrels needed feeding every 2-3 hours 24 hours a day.

Good luck with your baby.

Moose

Norman S. Nadel wrote:

Moose:

I tried to get the chick at the center of the field but because of the
position of the chick, the cage bars, the camera, and the photographer
viewing the LCD in daylight it is a bit difficult. And .. the chick is
moving its head .. it is not a stationary target. Fortunately, the depth of
filed is quite forgiving.  As soon as the chick emerges from its protected
position it will be much easier to focus.

The main problem I find with the digital cameras I have is shutter lag ...
quite difficult to get what you want with subjects that are moving. That's
where the OM system has digital beat .. no shutter lag.  This problem is
getting better with each generation of digitals but is is still quite
significant.

Norm