Re: [OM] Kodak Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak Tri-X
From: "Jamie Costello" <jcostel1168@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:32:46 -0500
From: "Tris Schuler" <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Re: [OM] Kodak Tri-X

> Have list members tried the new formulation for Tri-X. If so, what do you
> think of it? It is still, indeed, Tri-X, or something closer to TMAX?
(That
> seems to be the dubious impression I came away with when I first read of
> the proposed change.)
>
> Tris

Tris, I don't know what to make of it exactly.   I shot some about two weeks
ago and made a few 8x10's yesterday.   It SEEMS to have a slightly better
range - I get a little better shadow detail in Zone 3 than I might have
gotten before; could just be my wishing, though.   Grain seems to be good,
but I didn't think grain was a real problem in Tri-X before.   Development
in DP-76 (1:1) is 1 minute more (11 vs. 10) @ 68°F.

Contrast?   I don't know, I still have to use an orange (22) to get any
contrast in flat lighting situations.

Come to think of it, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask !! ;-)))).

I'll be comparing it to NEW T-MAX 400 this week.  (Yeah, there's even NEW
T-MAX development instructions, too (?).

Kodak has some lengthy PDF's on their website on the new B/W formulations.

Jamie
Fort Myers, FL