[OM] Re: Lens for copy work

Subject: [OM] Re: Lens for copy work
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 16:55:43 -0800
>From: "Jamie Costello" <jcostel1168@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I'd like to some slides of some photos in a book that are generally fairly
>large (around 4"x6" and larger)... I have a generally
>good selection of bodies but need help selecting a lens.   What do you guys
>recommend for copy work?

I'd pick the 90/2 for that job. Maybe the 50/2 if most of them are much bigger
than 4"x6".

If you'll be doing a lot of this, you REALLY want a decent copy stand. Fighting
to keep everything parallel and square with a tripod is no fun. The ~$30 copy
stands you see at swap-meets with the goose-neck lamps are not much better than
a tripod. A "decent" copy stand might be $250 or more new.

Position two lights on either side of the work, at about a 45 degree angle.

If the work is glossy, crossed polarizers will help a great deal. You probably
already have one for your lens. The ones for your lights will set you back
$40-$60 each, but it is worth it. Mounting them can be a pain -- gel-filter
holders will set you back another $30-$60 each.

I prefer studio strobes, for less heat and more output for smaller apertures. I
generally shoot at f5.6 to f11.

Also, hot lights have to go WAY BACK from your polarizers, or they will melt
them! This means a smaller working area. Since you mentioned T-Max, you
probably aren't too worried about color balance, but for color work, you'll
need to worry about that with hot lights, but not with strobes.

I take a reading with a flash meter THROUGH a crossed polarizer, thus no
uncertainty about correction factor. Then I use the strobe's modelling lights
to touch-up the position of the lens polarizer, eliminating all reflection. I
often shoot framed artwork right through the glass with this technique.

You can be incredibly productive with such a setup. I recently shot 60 pieces
of art for a client in under an hour! A local "pro studio" had quoted her $7
per slide -- she was delighted when I did it for $1.67/slide ($1 per minute
plus $1 per slide).

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>