RE: [OM] [OT] - itty bitty 4x5 field camera

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] - itty bitty 4x5 field camera
From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:49:43 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of George M. Anderson
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 11:40 PM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm 99ure that's a relabled Tachihara.  Calumet does this too.

I don't know, George.  I pulled my Tachi out and held it up to the monitor -
there are quite a few details visible in the image that differ from mine;
which is about 15 years old.  At any rate, a capable wooden field camera is
a joy to work with, after you get to know it.  It was nice to get mine out
again.  It get far too little use nowadays.  My OMs are so much easier and
cheaper to shoot, though in some ways not nearly as satisfying.  That may
change now that I have a scanner capable of doing 4x5.

OM content - I used to use my OM-2 for exposure readings to set the field
camera.  Took a few mental gymnastics to convert 1/125 at f/22 to 1/30 at
f/44 since none of my Zuikos closed down that far.  (For those of you who
don't have experience in 4x5, one uses at least two stops smaller for a
similar depth of field) Not bad, though.  I got excellent Fujichrome 50
exposures doing that.  Now I use the OM-4T spot, as I am a Zonie ;-).

Speaking of shooting trains with a 4x5 - I once shot a missile launch on
4x5!

Gary Edwards