[OM] Re: graphics tablet

Subject: [OM] Re: graphics tablet
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 03:25:04 -0800
>From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Anybody using one to edit photos?

Sure!

>What do you recommend?

Wacom is all there is, really. Don't be seduced by lower priced competitors.

>Wacom Graphire2
>4x5 seems to be the flavor of choice if one were to believe the adds.
>They are going for 50-60 $$.

That's a VERY good price!

>What's a minimum reasonable size? Desk space
>is _very_ limited.

It depends on what you want to do with it. For pressure-sensitive healing/clone
tool use, a 4x5 would be fine.

But if you draw (or intend to trace), get the biggest one you can afford. Desk
space is not such a problem, as you can use it through a considerable stack of
paper :-) or you can simply move it off your desk when not in use. (Mine is on
the floor right now. :-)

I have a 12x12 Intuos. It is a GREAT performer, but is much too thick. I
griped; they listened; the Intuos 2 line is now much thinner.

My only beef with Wacom is that they don't protect your investment well. I have
three tablets, and THE PENS DO NOT INTERCHANGE!!! This is typical monopolistic
behavior -- I wish they had some reasonable competition.

I would have bought a new Intuos 2 12x12, but I just got fed up with not being
able to swap pens. (Intuos 2 pens don't even interchange with Intuos!) I have
three computers running with three tablets, and a chair with wheels, and I'd
like to be able to just keep one pen behind the ear for all three! Not to
mention invest in neat things like airbrushes, etc. But their practice of zero
backward compatibility has cost them a lot of sales, to me, at least.

> USB or serial available for hook up.

Don't bother with serial, unless you get a great price on a used one. Macs
already got rid of serial ports, and what Macs do today, PCs will do tomorrow.
If you get a serial one, chances are you'll have to replace it when you get
your next computer in three years or less.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>