Re: [OM] Reichmann, Canon, and digital...

Subject: Re: [OM] Reichmann, Canon, and digital...
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:29:47 -0800

Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 18:44:33 -0600
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I still maintain that comparing a print from a digital camera with a print from a film scan (inkjet or on photo paper), is not valid. Make a GOOD WET PRINT from that 6x7 chrome, and compare it to a print from the digital. That's a valid comparison, as the print from the scan has an additional step
inserted.

If you had seen some of the digital prints from 35mm in the Galen Rowell gallery in Bishop, California I don't think you would say that. Here is a guy who could afford to have his prints made the best way possible($10,000 a pop for prints of some of the images) and digital printing was chosen because it was, for him, superior to chemical prints. I was awestruck standing in front of the beautiful 30 by 42 inch prints from 35mm because of the quality of some of them. Certainly it was obvious that the limits on them were with the photographer and his 35mm equipment not the printing. It is an eye opening experience.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA