[OM] Mid-Iowa Zuiko and Eagle Fest - Redux

Subject: [OM] Mid-Iowa Zuiko and Eagle Fest - Redux
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:13:09 -0800 (PST)
Well, where do I start...

First of all, it was a glorious morning.  The sunrise was
beautiful and the Belt of Venus was intense.  I arrived about
twenty minutes late, but still prior to "photo-light".  Eagles
everywhere, but not a Joel to be seen.

"I couldn't start the truck" was the official "line" given.  Uh
huh.  <g>  He's just waiting for me to have the Contax in hand
before he decides to mosey down I-80.

Anyway, I scanned the area over and quickly determined that
things weren't going to be great for eagle photography.  It was
too warm and clear.  The walkers were out.  Something about the
Dutch, they just don't mind getting out and bicycling, running
or walking in just about any weather.

The eagles weren't feeding. One was making laps up and down the
river about 2 meters off the deck.  I think he/she was doing the
morning jog.  Another was testing the theory of "grass is
greener on the other tree".  And finally a third would get off
the perch every few minutes to make a pass over the water to see
if some easy catch was near the surface.  He came up
empty-taloned every time.  Not even the seagulls were budging.
The geese did their morning mass asenscion, which was pretty
cool, but otherwise they were sitting like lumps on a limb.

I waited for 2 1/2 hours for some stray Zuiko-nut to show and
for the eagles to start feeding, but ended up amassing another
300,000 Space Trader credits on my palmpilot.  I should have
known better--the barometer was heading the wrong way.

While sitting in the jeep, I counted 58 eagles from just one
spot.  I know that wasn't all of them either.  I didn't bother
getting out the binocs to see more.  Further down the river
(about 300 meters) I saw a dozen or so more.

I finally left when my wife called me for the fourth time on my
cell letting me know that I had to make a trip to the bank
before it closed.  Otherwise, I'd still be sitting there waiting
for movement. (or until my palmpilot's batteries died).

I took a couple of pictures with the digital, but otherwise kept
the zuikos tucked safely away.

Maybe next time.

AG-I'm so lonely I could cry-Schnozz