RE: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering

Subject: RE: [OM] OT: need advice on soldering
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:35:05 -0000
Not sure about metal compatability, etc., but good general advice when
soldering is heat the metal you are soldering to with the iron, then melt
the solder on that metal NOT the iron !!  That way you know for sure that
the surfaces are hot enough to bond.  I've often found that when soldering
battery contacts, the surface conducts a lot of heat away too quickly, and
often melts the surrounding plastic before getting hot enough !!

Of course, the corrosion may be an issue as well.  I'll let a metallurgist
give a more accurate response, but as a crude attempt get some flux paste
(solder paste ?) and spread it on the contacts to be soldered.  But be
warned and clean it off the soldering iron asap - I've seen soldering irons
of the expensive variety get trashed through over-use of flux paste !!

Hmm, dremel tool.  Sounds like that would have removed most corrosion.  You
also mention a chrome or stainless metal.  Good luck if that is the case !!
Again, I'm no expert on metals but stainles steel is a total B**ch to weld
and so probably equally difficult to solder.  I've had similar kind of
trouble trying to solder to chrome plated surfaces.

Over to the metallurgy experts .....

Jon