[OM] Re: Zuikos and 6x9 (Was Siren Song)

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuikos and 6x9 (Was Siren Song)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:42:04 -0800
>From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Plus, even at 6x6, the shift would
>be pretty much useless because of the small image circle.

I never expected either of the PC lenses to be able to shift on 6x9, but they
have, by design, larger image circles, so I thought they might cover without
shifting. When you shift them, you are essentially cropping a 36x24 mm
rectangle out of a larger image circle.

I'm not surprised at the other results. Good lens design dictates no bigger an
image circle than needed by the format. The excess light bouncing around
produces flare, reducing contrast.

I don't recall if anyone tested the 24 shift. It should have at least a 6.6cm
image circle, since it has +/- 8mm lateral shift. Maybe I'll try sticking it on
the Linhof...

My plan is to get someone's old beater < 3MP digicam real cheap and stick an OM
mount on it. Wide angle will be a joke, but boy, will it make a great bird
camera with even a moderate telephoto!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>