[OM] Re: On Re-using Our Beloved Zuikos For Digital

Subject: [OM] Re: On Re-using Our Beloved Zuikos For Digital
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:46:08 -0500
Uhh, you guys aren't thinking of this as a travel or general use camera,
right?  The Canon D-60 won't give you a meter reading with any FD mount
lenses so we'd never be able to meter, even stopped-down manual.  Right?

In addition, none of my auto-diaphram Zuikos will stay locked down at the
taking aperture (like the old preset apertures did).

To use it at anything other than full aperture, one would have to devise
some kind of arrangement to hold down the aperture preview lever, like a
water hose clamp, without ruining the lens, right?

Am I off base?  Here's my scorecard:

EOS body with OM mount lens:
Negative: No manual metering, ever.
Negative: No auto exposure of any kind, ever.
Negative: Full-aperture only unless one holds down the lens'es lever.
Negative: Infinity focus unlikely except for specially adjusted, exotic
lenses.

On the other hand, Pop Photo reviewed a new Sigma 28-70 f2.8 for a street
price of ~$299 (list $651).  [Popular Photography & Imaging, January 2003, p
116]  It's a constant aperture, AF lens that can be focused manually.  I
could "do" concert pictures with that on a used, mechanical, Nikon film body
all day long and wait for full-frame digi-bodies.  At that time, the old
all-mechanical body would be a handy, bullet-resistant backup.

I suppose I could buy the Zuiko f2.8 28-70 or whatever it is for a mere
$1,000+, thinking I'll be able to use it manually on an EOS someday.

Hmm.

Lama