Re: [OM] Camera Insurance? Pictures of your camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Insurance? Pictures of your camera?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 00:18:05 EST
I've been out of town for a wonderful two day seminar with John Shaw that was
put on by Rocky Mountain School of Photography.  Now to just apply some of
the knowledge . . .

While I was away apparently there was a rather lengthy thread about insuring
cameras and camera equipment.  After wading through 265 emails, I'm going to
try to give you a brief answer.  First of all in the USA the coverage is
cheap or really cheap if you ever have to use it.  Generally there are three
ways to insure it. 1) As a rider on your homeowners policy. 2) On a separate
personal articles policy which may allow some professional use. or 3) On a
separate commercial Inland Marine policy.  Generally 2 & 3 will offer all
risk coverage world wide (no dummy exclusions, although there should be).  So
yes, Fred, when you leave it in the rest room or on top of the car, it is
covered.  Most or at least many of these have $0 deductible.

You will need an inventory, with serial numbers and if your agent is doing
what they should be doing they should inspect it prior to insuring it (the
equipment, not just your list).  Pictures are an excellent idea, as someone
is going to have to sign a check when you have a loss and pictures tend to
make that person a bit more comfortable about signing the check.

Bill Barber