Re: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO on gray ca

Subject: Re: [OM] advice needed: SPOT meter reading differs from AUTO on gray card??
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:34:49 -0500
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:44:45 -0500
> From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>

> You'll find that spot meter reading will change depending on what lens you
> use.  I think this was discussed here a couple of years ago.  It is noted in
> the multi page repair manual  list of "things the OM-4 does that people may
> think are defects, which  cannot be fixed no matter what........."  Really!

But a one-stop exposure difference is significant for slide film, so they
can't both be right. One will be misexposed unless the camera changes its
mind after the shutter opens (my OM-20 does that in auto for different
reasons; it's annoying so I almost always shoot manual).

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:45:50 -0600
> From: "Gary L. Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxx>

> and I know from lots
> of Provia shooting that both achieve good, reliable, and consistant
> exposures with all of my lenses, I conclude that John and Clint are
> right: this is normal behavior, as well as acceptable performance.
> I'd suggest further testing by exposing slide film on average reflectance
> subjects to convince yourself, if necessary.

Did spot and averaging both work in auto and manual (four combinations)?

> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:32:02 -0500 (EST)
> From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Here's what the OM-4 service manual has to say about SPOT errors,
> but I'm not really sure what it's saying!:
>   Since exposure degree is determined based on the light intensity
>   reduced by the preset, over-exposure results in to a degree
>   corresponding to the number of steps from open to stop-down position.

Neither am I, but it sounds like it's saying that if your lens is f2 and you
shoot at f16 you'll get a 6-stop error. That can't be right, must be a bad
translation.

Regards,
Andrew