Re: [OM] A golden opportunity....

Subject: Re: [OM] A golden opportunity....
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:41:58 -0800
"Tiltall used to be the answer, but it is a shadow of former times"

Here's an opportunity too good to pass up. For a period of time, I think in
the seventies, E. Leitz USA operation acutally owned Tiltall. I think they
were the original buyer of the company from the Italian brothers who
designed and manufactured this wonderful product. Find a Tiltall of this
vintage, take it to class, one-up the instructor. Or, when he pontificates
on tripods, if he leaves this one out, you're the one-eyed man in the land
of the blind.

The Tiltall is a marvelous product in its simplicity and effectiveness. I
have one of the originals, and one of the later versions, and the only
difference is a removable head, and black anodizing. The current owner has,
I'm told, decreased the quality and weight of the materials, and it is now
just a shadow of its former self. I love my Gitzo with the Bogen gear head,
but when climbing, either up a unit in an oil refinery, or a mountain in
Colorado, the tiltall is tops!

Bill Pearce

My E. Leitz Tiltall is black anodized.
--