[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3813

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3813
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:57:47 -0800
>From: Mark_Jennings@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>the instructor placed
>before us his Nikon F5 and F100 bodies and a variety of very expensive
>lenses and proceeded to tell everyone that if you want to take photography
>seriously, you need serious equipment like his.

Gee, I'm almost the opposite. When I see someone in the class with an old AE-1
or screw-mount Pentax, I let everyone know how much simpler those cameras are
to use than a "wonderbrick" that flashes largely meaningless numbers at you.

I insist that their camera be manual-capable for exposure and focus: no
auto-everything cameras. And I strongly suggest that if their camera does not
have DOF preview, that they consider exchanging it for one that does. And I
also suggest that those who only have inexpensive zoom lenses go to a swap meet
and pick up a cheap 50mm prime.

But it does become clear at the first showing who has the better glass. There's
no need for me to put down those with the brand new cameras with 20-400mm f9
Quantaray zooms -- a 20-year old 50mm prime speaks for itself!

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>