Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?

Subject: Re: [OM] were you just baiting us?
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:00:34 -0800
In a message dated 1/14/2003 Rob writes:

<< He was really neurotic about supplies, too. No substitutions. Everything
had to be exactly what he specified. I'm still looking for a lipstick-tube
brush and I had to hit a couple of places to find Edwal film cleaner. >>

At first I thought this thread was another joke (like the thread we had
about the Nik*n fanatic instructor that did turn out to be a joke). This guy
is clearly way too full of himself and over the top. What I find
particularly strange are the above items. I can't imagine he allows the
slightest bit of dust on his precious L**tz lenses after all, and instead of
telling students to go get film cleaner shouldn't he be teaching how to
handle negs and slides so that you don't need liquid film cleaner (at least
not 'till the negs and slides have been around a few years that is). As far
as brushes go, you can get a Lenspen which will have a lipstick brush on one
end, but a Staticmaster brush is the way to go IMO (though I suspect your
instructor may have a different opinion--he seems rather off from what I can
tell after all).

Please don't get me wrong, I am not anti-L**ca at all. Before my first OM-1
way back when (when was it anyway? '73 or so maybe?) I had a L*icaflex SL
and an M2. One of the very best US racing photographers recently switched
from Nik*ns to the R8 system (and he has that nice big fast lens with the
interchangeable front element sections for different focal lengths--cool
lens!) due to reliability issues with the Nik*ns and a refusal to fully go
Can*n (he does use an R8 to EOS adapter to use that big beautiful German
glass on a D60 though).

This instructor of yours sounds insane to me--you have my sympathies. Just
try and get what you can from the class and try to ignore his obviously
strong and apparently oft ill-conceived opinions.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com