[OM] CMOS sensors and Leica Rangefinders

Subject: [OM] CMOS sensors and Leica Rangefinders
From: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 10:27:46 -0800
Cc: scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
As we've had some interesting discussions here about the pros and cons of CCD
vs CMOS, here is an interesting discussion of the merits of CMOS from the
Kodak Pro DCS site:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/cameras/dcsPro14n/cmos.jhtml?id=0.3.6.32.5.8.3.18.3&lc=en

Somewhat more on-topic, I enjoyed everyone's comments about OMs vs Leicas. I
certainly don't agree with the instructor's comments about Leicas being the
be-all and end-all for 35 mm photography.

As for the lenses, I'm sure the big, fast Zuikos are up there, too, like Mike
V's 350/2.8  The Zeiss T*-series of lenses look to me to be about as
impressive as any I've ever seen. I'm continually amazed at the sharpness and
contrast of photos taken with my T3.

But, I did pick and play with some Leicas at the big (or little) photo swap
meet at the San Jose fairgrounds two weeks ago.
I do have to say that the M's are beautifully built, and have a wonderful feel
to the shutter release. I actually preferred the feel of a nice M3 to the M6.
They're pretty cool cameras. However, if I were buying something in the manual
focus rangerfinder area right now, I'd be looking seriously at the Bessa R2
and those cool and relatively inexpensive Voigtlander lenses.

Ain't gonna happen though...I have too many film cameras as it is (8 at
present count; I know, I know, this is nothing compared to some list members).
For now, my money needs to go in to "L" glass....

Cheers,
Stephen.