[OM] Film look vs. Digital look

Subject: [OM] Film look vs. Digital look
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:02:16 -0800

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:51:10 +0800
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Beyond the Return of Fast Photos with  OM's

Only D-max affect the shadow details, bit depth will not, not enough
bit depth will get banding effect. If the print get more shadow
details that means your monitor is not properly calibrated (at least
to the printer). Try to change the gamma of your shot you will have an
idea of the shadow details you have or hidden under your monitor.

C.H.Ling

Hi C.H.
I've got the monitor calibrated as best I can using the Apple software, but it has not been calibrated with a hardware spyder. And you're right, I need to make a calibration for the printer.....just haven't been able to pony up $100 for getting a profile made because I haven't decided on what paper I will settle on permanently, and I can't afford to have custom profiles made for every paper I've tried!