Re: [OM] Tamron SP 70-210 f3.5 BIN $125

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron SP 70-210 f3.5 BIN $125
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:08:59 +0100
As I recall, the Tamron 70-210 f3.5 one-touch zoom Model 19AH was tested by
Gary Reese, and received extremely good ratings. The construction of the
lens hood also results in optimum flare protection, with the hood being
deeper at 210mm. The Tamron 35-210 (released a year before) does not have
the same hood construction, but uses a shallower rubber hood that matches
the 35mm end of the zoom range only. Some 35-210 Tamrons have been reported
with element separation (not a problem with the one that I had though). The
70-210 was introduced in 1984, and continued unchanged until 1999, when
most of the remaining manual focus lenses were discontinued. You can
probably still find new examples, as the US Tamron site still listed them
last year.

The 35-210 is also a fine lens from my own observations, but the 70-210
gives better results, especially wide open. Both are somewhat heavy
(916/931g.).

Recently I have acquired a Tokina ATX 50-250mm f4-5.6, in excellent
condition. I am looking forward to trying that lens in comparison with the
Tamron. The Tokina actually competes more with the famed Tamron SP 60-300;
it has a similar outstanding macro range, going right down to 1:1.4 !

Roger Key, Copenhagen

Moose wrote:

>For that kind of money you should be able to get a Tamron SP
>35-210/3.5-4.2 or a Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4/5 (smaller and lighter than
>the Tamron). Unless that 2/3 of a stop at the long end is a deal
>breaker, both are a lot more lens than the 70-210.

Moose