[OM] Re: [[OT] Revisionist history of the 70s economy

Subject: [OM] Re: [[OT] Revisionist history of the 70s economy
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:51:04 -0500
At 11:48 AM +0000 1/12/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 03:11:31 -0500
>From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] RE:  [OT] Revisionist history of the 70s economy
>
>Joe, it sounds like you're saying that World War 2 was all about saving the
>economy by priming the pump.  (?)  Surely you mean that pulling the economy
>out of what remained of the depression was a secondary or even tertiary side
>benefit, compared to keeping fascism out of Hawaii and the UK.

I only said that WW2 deficits had the effect of pulling the US economy out of
the remmanents of the Depression.  The cause of WW2 had nothing to do with the
US economy.

There is a major school of though that holds that the root cause of WW2 was the
attempt by the victorious WW1 powers to cripple the German economy, to reduce
Germany to a nation of overtaxed farmers.  This was the point of the Treaty of
Versailles, as the theory goes.

They still have the overtaxed farmers, anyway.

>Right?  What
>you said was just Zuikoholic double-speak, right?  Like offering to dispose
>of extra lenses, fixing lenses with a rolling pin, cleaning plastic with
>acetone, cleaning focusing screens with fingers, using cotton balls inside
>bodies, spitting on cuts to sanitize them, etc, etc, etc?  Say it ain't so,
>Joe.

Disposing of lenses, etc: not guilty.

Fixing lenses with a rolling pin: silent fellow traveller.  I'm from the "all
you need is a bigger hammer" school of mechanical repair.

Cleaning plastic with acetone: depends on the plastic; works on CR-39 lenses,
but not with polycarbonate lenses.  Or polystyrene.  Lighter fluid is OK on all
of them, but it's hard to set CR-39 on fire.

Cleaning focusing screens with fingers:  never tried it, but if I did I would
clean the fingers with acetone first.  (I think the screens are made of
polystyrene.)

Cotton balls inside bodies:  Never.  Old rags are better.

Spitting on cuts to sanitize them:  Never.  It's better to lick the wound, like
the animals we pretend to differ from.

>Lama

Joe Gwinn