[OM] Cost of Film!

Subject: [OM] Cost of Film!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 11:59:34 -0800

On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 10:49  AM, Stephen Scharf wrote:

There are more than two or three advantages that DSLRs have over 35 mm. One is not having to buy and pay for processing film. I can easily shoot 500 frames at a go-kart race (And before you guys jump all over me for taking 500 frames, understand that in a *business* like D&W Images, you need to shoot a lot of frames because you're trying to get at least one, and preferably more than one photo of *every* racer, and there are at least two hundred or more racers). That would cost me $70 in film and about $125 in processing alone. With the D60, it doesn't cost me anything. On my tryout day, I shot 550 frames and came home with a CD of about 330 "keepers", and sold about $250 worth of photos that very same *day*. Same day sales of race photos are also a BIG, BIG plus for D-SLRs.

Sorry, but cost of film seems to be a bizarre argument when you consider the thousands of dollars to purchase a digital slr, new lenses, a high powered laptop to process high resolution images and burn a CD for those same day sales. Although you are comparing apples and oranges. A CD with 330 "keepers" are relatively low resolution averaging about 1.8 megabytes compared to the 20 megabyte image commonly obtained from a 35mm frame.

While I sometimes disagree, your thoughts are always interesting.

PS:  Why don't you respond with a subject that follows a thread?