[OM] Re: OM-4T + non-OM flash question

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4T + non-OM flash question
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:09:29 -0500
> From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>

> Well it looks like I was (partly) wrong, according to question B11 in
> the Oly FAQ which all know is at
> http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/olympus.faq.html
>
> "With the camera in the auto mode any non-Olympus flashgun can be fired
> from the hotshoe and X synchro socket, for the use of "Fill in Flash"
> (shutter speed must be below 1/60th second).
> [This overrides] the relevant ... Sections ... of Instruction Book B."

> The relevant URL for a 4Ti manual (one volume, including both the basic
> instructions and the creative bits) is
> http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/esif/om-sif/bodygroup/om4ti.htm
> BUT you have the manuals anyway! Take a look at the Q&A on page 125 of
> the above referenced manual, or pages 39, 49, 50 of the "Creative
> Photography" manual you have.

> Your logic looks right.  As does your preference not to overcook your
> OM...

OK, this is getting clearer. I'd assumed the second book was "creative
photography tips", and didn't read it yet. So I RTFM and I see it's really
part B of the manual. (Give me a break; this is the first time I've had a
manual for a camera. :-) ) My copy starts at page 91. I had happened to find
the stuff on page 126 about non-T flashes and it sounded like this was OK.

So having checked voltages and the above docs I am somewhat more confident,
but again if anyone has references to reliable info on contact assignments,
allowable voltages, etc I'd appreciate it.

I did a little safe experiment to determine whether the shutter would close
in Auto and in Spot with sufficient light. I hung the camera around my neck
set at f16 in a dark room pointing at a white blind. I held the flash in my
hand.
 - With the camera on Auto I pressed the shutter, which stayed open.
   I popped the flash and the shutter closed.
 - With the camera on Spot I pressed the shutter, which stayed open.
   I popped the flash and the shutter did not close.
So it works on Auto and not Spot. I eat my words.

This makes sense I guess as Spot takes a snapshot (PI) of the light level on
each reading, averages and then uses the computed shutter speed no matter
what happens after the shutter is released. If it did otherwise you couldn't
recompose as it would simply end up spot-metering whatever was in the center
of the frame.

Thanks,
Andrew