RE: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras (pix count)

Subject: RE: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras (pix count)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:59:46 -0500
Comments below.

At 3:06 AM +0000 1/6/03, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 09:31:37 -0800
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] The coming generation of 35mm CCD digital cameras

Yes.  It's like clock megahertz in computers, but the full story is far too
complex, so people use the single number despite its limitations.

Foveon claims that their sensor, having overlaid RGB photodetectors, suffers
far less from the various artifacts that plague other digital cameras.

I think the whole area will settle in five years, when the sensors will have
sufficient pixels to simply overwhelm the various artifacts, as these artifacts
are mostly due to undersampling and the compromises necessary to ameliorate the
more disturbing consequences of that undersampling.

>Apparently Sigma has a 2 year lock on the Foveon technology. So,
>considering the drastic depreciation of third party lenses and the
>Sigma and the Foveon chip become much more expensive compared to
>Canon or Nikon.

I don't understand -- what point are you making?

>An interesting thought occurs to me.  Some of the digicam reviews
>compare to the reviewed camera to its competitors in the images
>produced.  It would be interesting and informative to me if, at least
>for the pro level cameras, to provide a base comparison to the same
>test subject taken with a good, pro level film camera scanned at 4000
>dpi.

Yes.

Joe Gwinn