[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3795

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3795
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 19:18:51 -0800
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 14:55:54 +0800
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3788

<snip>
I have tried Minolta Scan Speed, the once top of the line Minolta scanner
which was in the same age of my LS2000, the color accuracy of the Minolta
was not as good for slide. Two years ago I had exchange my LS2000 with my
friend's (who is a professional landscape photographer) Minolta Scan Speed
for two weeks, he was not happy with the color saturation of his Minolta and
I was not happy with the resolution of my LS2000, but finally we both not
satisfy with deal and switched back.

C.H.,

I don't think its meaningful to compare your experience of the Scan Speed to the current line of Minolta scanners. These are older scanners that are well out of production; such statements comparing to their performance to the current line of scanners e.g. the Dimage Scan Elite II or the Dimage III is not a fair comparison. You're assuming that a Mfr. can cannot improve the overall performance of their products relative to their competition. This is not to say the Nikon LS4000 you have is not a terrific scanner, it is; you get what you pay for. But the Minolta Scan Elite II is a better scanner than the Nikon Coolscan IV ED.