[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3790

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3790
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:56:40 -0800
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 16:40:25 -0800
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Printer (was: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me)

Depending on your budget and need. If you have lots of dough, then get the
Fuji Pictrography 3000/4000, for a mere $4000 and $10000, you can have
prints that are unrivaled in your block.

Coming down from the sky a bit, a Kodak dye-sub printer is $1000. Good if
you want to sell 8x10 prints and want that continuous tone look. The Epson
2200 should make prints that last almost as long, and is more flexible and
capable in print sizes, for about $700, but with teeny-tiny dots. In terms
of color fidelity, nothing beats the Epson 1280 or the Canon S9000. The
C9000 is exceptionally fast but Epson is better in terms of paper selection
and after market supplies including quad black ink. They are both around
$400-$500.

There are many great printers for cheaper than these, but these are the
topnotch ones. You can't go wrong with any of these if it is within your
budget.

Don't forget the Olympus P-400 dye sub printer! It too makes 8X10 continous tone prints. The guys I have hooked up with at D&W Images say it is the only printer they have found to meet their needs for image quality for selling prints right at the race track. It is only about $450. For an inkjet capable of letter size prints, the Epson 820 for $99 has to be the best price/performance ratio I know of by far. It's output is as good or better than HP or Canon, IMHO, and for way less money.
-Stephen.