[OM] ( OM ) OT Tolkein represented on the big screen, & NZ. - LONG

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) OT Tolkein represented on the big screen, & NZ. - LONG
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 10:38:31 +1300
Hi folks

I wondered if some of the comments on NZ were thrown up in the
expectation that I might respond. It was interesting to read what others from
afar think or know about New Zealand.

I haven't seen either of the Tolkein films, though I own and have read all the
books. I haven't set foot inside a cinema for about 15 years (don't remember
the reason and date of the last time), and have no plans to do so again. I
also don't watch much TV; sometimes 6pm news (the main "news" reporting
for the days here) and weather, then mostly I leave the room if the TV is on. I
can't stand the gratuitous violence that is so common; and if my son is at
the controls of the TV remote I can't stand the flick - flick - flick between
channels as he swaps back and forth (thank goodness we have only 4
channels where I live); that's another reason to find somewhere else to be
and something else to do.

So I have little to say about the Tolkein movies, accents etc.  But there IS a
recent book out, written by a local guy who tracked down all the locations
and has great (N*k*n) photos in it. From what I know it is a well-written book,
well researched, and not expensive.

NZ has a land area about the same as New York state,  (so Muricans can
compare more easily), and a human population of about 4 million souls ( and
a few a**holes as well ;-) )

The population is concentrated in the warmer north (Auckland mainly) and
the population pressures there cause infrastructural problems that Auckland
expects the rest of the country to pay for.  For my 2 cents I'd be quite
content if Auckland detached itself from the rest of NZ and quietly floated off
to the centre of the Pacific and sank without trace. Auckland businesses
have sucked the rest  of the country dry; and it is with a wry smile I note
that
they now complain that they are being taken over - relocated to Sydney
Australia. I hope they savour the taste well and reflect.

The climate is sort of warm temperate; but you should note that it stretches
a goodly distance north-south, about 1,200 miles as the blow-flies,
approximately equally to Devon (UK) to Gibraltar. so that gives the
temperature range scenario. Then there is a backbone for much of the length
of lumps of rock; the Southern Alps in the South Island rise to 12,000 feet,
and 5 - 6000 feet in a variety of mountain ranges in the North. The prevailing
winds include the moisture-bearing westerly, so due to orographic effects the
west side of the country tends wetter (MUCH wetter in parts - 400  inches a
year) as a result. Something like Oregon State. And drier and sometimes
much hotter in the east (foehn effect).

Being so close in all its parts to the sea, there is little of the country that
has
a climate with continental extremes. However, those who would climb in the
mountains should note that the altitudinal zones here are compressed to 20 -
30 percent of the range of continents; so that in NZ from  0 - 4,000 feet
a.s.l.
is broadly equivalent to 0 - 12,000+ feet in the USA.; with climate / weather
extremes to match. Go prepared for drastic change.

Much of the land is topographically too rough for human habitation and
economic activity. For example, the province I live in, Canterbury (pop. about
550,000), has the land area of The Netherlands (?17 mill people) but only
approx 25 0s flat enough for people to bother with.

Then there is land tenure. A long story, but due to the activity of a set of
political charlatans who (mis) ran the country from 1984 - 89, about 250f
the country is under the preservation control of the so-called Department of
Conservation. (Hides axe he is grinding). Nobody else can own DOC land, or
in general have any management use of the resources there.

One thing the 1984 Labour government did was to privatise many state-run
enterprises. The main results were two-fold; the pockets of a (very) few New
Zealanders were filled with millions of dollars; then the assets - businesses
were sold to overseas interests. So the income that would have benefitted
New Zealanders directly now fills the pockets of New Yorkers and the like,
and we have to pay double since we have to find from other activity the
overseas exchange to fund the funds transfer, then do something else to
raise overseas funds to pay for essential imports. Oh yes, they also created
a climate that destroyed the industries that gave us self-sufficiency.

Some people will know that NZ holds the Americas Cup (maxi-yachts) and
there is a huge challenge taking place here now. We also pride ourselves as
a nation on our sporting successes in rugby, rugby-league, cricket, raising &
running race-horses, board-sailing, rowing, squash, running and other sports.
And so on.

We as a country must survive internationally by trading. So we take a dim
view of the protectionist activities of wealthy countries who impose barriers.

We make a significant income from providing education to foreigners,
especially from people from the western rim of the Pacific and adjacent
oceans. But it is a current hot topic that many of these peoples now want to
stay in NZ; and some of the gang-related activities they also bring and
definitely unwelcome. While the government and the business sector seem
to think that such immigrants will be the economic saviour of NZ by
expanding the economy and trading, many people also say we already have
enough of the current wave of immigrants, the tap should be turned off, and
we should concentrate on our 100,000 + local unemployed and help them
improve their lot, first..

Many locals, especially in the South, do not like the currently increased
influx of W-Pacific peoples.

However, On The Other Hand ...

Many New Zealanders leave New Zealand for the UK and other countries
where they often find work as well-trained and hard-working individuals. I have
a nephew who is a leading accountant for a major company on the Isle of
Guernsey, for example. Better paid than here. Much. Our medical graduates
leave in droves and are often replaced with graduates from India and Ceylon
and Samoa. Many hospital staff are from SE Asia.

Queenstown and the like. Somebody remarked how nice Queenstown is. I
would say "was". Predictably I suppose. I liked it 40 years ago when I went
there to ski. Now it is totally ruined. Full of expensive resort hotels and the
associated shops and the like designed to cater for the busloads of tourists,
the same as you can see anywhere in the world, full of glitter and concrete.

I doubt I will return except to pass through obligatorily, when en-route to
somewhere beyond.

Without too much effort one can find great places to go where with a little
luck you may not see another human in a whole week, and still be outdoors
as often as you want.

Questions?

I DID say "long' ;-)

Brian