[OM] Re: Virus Alert!! - One Hacker's Love

Subject: [OM] Re: Virus Alert!! - One Hacker's Love
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:02:07 -0800
>From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>The .SCR file I
>received was zero-length...

I don't think it was actually a ".SCR" file, anyway.

Most of these virii count on users turning off file extension visibility. So
they name them things like "FOO.TXT.BAT" or "PIC.SCR.EXE" or "SEXY.JPG.COM" The
GUI strips off the last extension, making the user think it's something
harmless.

Of course, not only is my Mac not infectible by these things, but I see these
normally "hidden" extensions. You may want to turn off filename extension
hiding if you routinely get email attachments that you WANT to open. This will
help you weed out the real picture from Aunt Babe from the fake one her virus
sent you... :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>