[OM] susan, miles

Subject: [OM] susan, miles
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 08:50:28 -0600
  "Only with effort can the camera be forced to lie.  Basically it is an =
honest medium, so the photographer is much more likely to approach =
nature in a spirit of inquiry, of communion, instead of with the saucy =
swagger of self-dubbed "artists".
  Susan Sontag

What a total load of crap. This kind of pretentious bs is the result of a
knowlege of photography restricted to p&s cameras and bad family photos. Did
the photos of the civil war battlefields with carefully arranged corpses
speak with a truth not to be found in a painting?

Ours is just a subset of visual arts, a means of communication. we
communicate what we choose to communicate, not the camera.

And yes, I would rather hear Miles Davis speak to this, as it would be a
vastly shorter response. And no, I don't want to hear any Marsalis brother,
because it would be even longer than sontag.

Bill Pearce