[OM] Re: Re: An OM-3Ti for Christmas?

Subject: [OM] Re: Re: An OM-3Ti for Christmas?
From: Ken <kveader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:46:24 -0500
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite some time, and this topic made me decide to come "out" for a message or two.I have an OM1n and an OM2n (which is presently on indefinate loan to my ex). I used these two cameras for a year or so after I got into the hobby, and my intreat waned after some negative critacisim from a Pro friend of mine. At some point I got to thinking that I wanted a newer camera that was full-auto for the point and shoot stuff that I had resigned myself to viewing as my maximum potential, but also wanted to get a system camera in case I wanted to spend money on lenses and whatnot in the future. I wound up with a Cannon A2. Very nice, but a bit big for toting around on motorcycle trips, and I never bought more for it that a 28-80mm lens. I also never learned the diferance between all the settings on it, and never remamber that I can choose "action" "Landscape" or "Portrait" mode on the thing when I'm actually taking the darn pictures.I was getting all of my film developed on print and CD, and most of the prints I didn't like, so I was paying for bad pictures AND digital images. I thought that a digital camera would be a better solution and for Christmas I got a D-550z. It's a nice little camera, and I enjoy using it. Of course there is a but here.

I'm not sure how any of you feel, but I love the idea of being able to shoot a picture, and in less than 5 minutes, having it posted on the web for my family to see (mostly kid pics, obviously). At the same time though, taking a digital image seems to cheapen the whole idea of photography to me. There is nothing definative and lasting, like a negative. One stray EMP or hard drive crash and the image is gone forever. Oh, you can burn a disc (which will be obsoleate technology in ten years) or do something else to make an archive, but it's not FILM. I think I'll retire the Cannon for now, as it's PS functions have now gone digital, and I'll drag out the old OM 1n and take a class and get more practice on my "real" photography.

I guess that that is all I have to say. I had a good Christmas, if not a great one, and sincearly whish that you all had a good or better holiday as well.

Best wishes

Ken
kveader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Haverhill MA