[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3778

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3778
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:35:02 -0800

Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 11:59:33 -0800
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re:  Dipping our Toe Into Digital

In a message dated 12/22/2002 Stephen Scharf writes:

<< The guys I have been shooting with routinely make 30" X 40" prints from a
Canon D30 using proprietary interpolation software at Pictopia in Emerville,
CA. >>

That would Pictopia's own interpolation software they use on their digital
printing machines wouldn't it? On the topic of interpolation, I have always
heard it best to leave the "upsampling" to the lab for this very
reason--they have proprietary software from the manufacturers of the
printing equipment that is optimal for that printer. I believe Pictopia uses
Lightjet, do they not?

I have not yet tried them, but am told they are a very good lab.
Mike, you're exactly right. They use their own propeitary interpolation software for enlargments; and yes, I think it is best to leave upsampling to these guys. I am pretty sure they do their printing on a LightJet. I am going to have them do a big print for me from the D60, just to see what it is capable of. Mike Doran thinks very highly of them.

I think you could have made a that print from your E10 larger than 11X14 quite easily. You should see the large print I've seen from Reed's in Walnut Creek that was from an E10. The resolution and sharpness were just incredible.

Looking forward to seeing you in about a month! Merry Christmas!

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!