[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3775

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #3775
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:05:52 -0800

Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:08:01 -0800
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re:  Dipping our Toe Into Digital

And another side:   When you carry a film camera which is inexpensive
by today's rising digital standard, you have the potential when faced
with a stunning subject and great care in taking the picture of
creating that once in a lifetime shot that ends up on the wall in a
giant sized enlargement. If you opt for an affordable digital in the
2 or 3 megapixel range which makes fine 4 X 6 prints you cut off that
creative option.  If you opt to get a second mortgage on the house,
lose your spouse, and buy an 11-14 megapixel wonder with the same
capability as your $10 roll of film you may not find that wonderful
photo it is capable of before it is so outmoded in 3 or 4 years as to
be embarrassing to be seen with.  :-)

If a photographer shares your concerns that they will miss the once in a lifetime shot that they can't blow up to wall size, then carry a film camera. Its no big deal. One could get the impression reading this list for the first time that the pro-digital folks are "digital or nothing", and the film folks are "film or nothing".

I carry both. My Contax T3 (the camera you and I both own and love, Winsor) goes with me everywhere -it is always loaded with slide film. But I am starting to take the D60 with me everywhere, too (the only digital I have right now, but I *will* have another, likely a C-50Z or the new Contax TVS digital); to have the added versatility of digital. As I have said before, and likely will say again, it's a wonderful extension to the set of tools we know and love (our OM gear), not a replacement (at least for me). Winsor's point is a good one but can be just as well applied to a digital camera, too....to be able to review, experiment, and reshoot a shot with the immediate feedback you get from digital: Last night I stopped back in Danville, CA for some dinner after coming back from San Jose. The town was decked out in Christmas lights...I took out the D60 and shot some storefronts/windows with the D60. One of them was a storefront with a white door. The standard white balance setting was all wrong (too yellow), so I made a custom white balance from the door, and reshot...perfect white balance. I also shot a nice window front for a cigar store that was all decorated....I shot a number of frames, with different exposure compensations and white balances. Took the camera into the pub down the street, had a Boddington's, and reviewed my photos on the Powerbook in PS7. Decided that I liked a particular setting, but wanted to frame the shot a little differently. After my beer and light meal, I went back, set up the tripod and got the photo I wanted. Like to see you do that with film.

-Stephen Scharf

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!