[OM] Epson EPX785- HELP!

Subject: [OM] Epson EPX785- HELP!
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 01:19:46 -0500
I have carefully setup my monitor so it has a wide range of tones from deep
black to nearly-white, based on a standard image I found at the digitaldog
site.

Based on my experience of balancing C-41 printers, I have tweaked the
screen's flesh tones based on the National Geo, cnn, and Playboy sites.  My
judgment at this point is that the monitor is RIGHT.

I'm using Windows 98, second edition.  I have tried making prints with these
settings:
ICM, EE153__1, sRGB.  I have made all of these test prints with Epson's
"PhotoEnhanced" feature turned off.

None of them are "fine" prints.  The midtones are no where close to the
screen values.  Worse, I don't know where to go from here.  Is this a "color
management" topic?  I don't even know the name of the topic I need to learn
about.

I'm using genuine Epson inks.  (By the way, after making 2 full-sized test
prints, the color cartridge' gauge dropped from 20% to 10% and then gave me
a warning after *one* more full-sized print.  Does this mean that I can
expect to burn up a $40 color cartridge makes about 10 test prints?)

I can't afford to work "stupid" anymore.  Besides making 4"x6" test images,
what else can I do?

I don't have ANY setup tools.  Does anyone have a tool to make a density
"ring-around", and a color ring-around?  Do I tweak the Printer> Properties>
Main> Custom Settings>Advanced>Color Controls section?

Is it possible to create multiple virtual printers, with different settings?
I have to write down my settings because after the print is made the OS, or
Elements, or the printer driver "throw away" my settings.

My experience is so very far from having superior results out-of-the-box, it
makes me sick.  I've spent a fortune in ink and paper and have no idea how
to get out of this!  *HELP*

Lama