[OM] OM-4 MAXIMUM Current Drain

Subject: [OM] OM-4 MAXIMUM Current Drain
From: Dr Timothy Hughes <hi100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:11:39 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx
Curt wrote:

>> Also, does anyone know the load currents for other models? I have a 2n, 2s,
>> PC, 4 and 4T; at one time or another they've all 'failed' with a set of
>> batteries that "pass" the manual in-camera check, but immediately recover
>> when a new set of 357's are installed. Generally, said batteries also test
>> "good" on my external tester.<<

The OM's run up to as high as 12mA and even 18mA under certain conditions
(service manual for OM2+OM2N test spec is 12mA max in auto or manual). In some
circumstances they run a bit higher e.g. OM2/2N in B, 15mA. The in camera
manual battery test on the OM2N is specd as going as high as 18mA although
typically runs less.

The worst case for higher end OM's is probably display light on plus shutter
release. I would guess the OM2S with display light on and releasing shutter
could easily run up to 15mA if the ic does not shut it off?

OM2S spec:

  7mA  illumination viewfinder

  0.5mA LCD on

  5mA LED in viewfinder

  13mA self timer

  8mA Battery check

The OM4 specs:

illuminator     7 to 13 mA

Shutter    7-7.5mA

memo mode  3-5 mA

color mode    3-5 mA

self timer      4-6 mA

batt check    4-6 mA

shutter operation  8mA approx.

OM10:

Current not specified in service manual but

lock voltage   2.0V

Batt Check voltage 2.0-2.2V

Regards,

Tim Hughes