[OM] Digital vs. Film, grain

Subject: [OM] Digital vs. Film, grain
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:15:07 +0800
One thing that digital will never do that film will do, is grain. Some grain looks great. Digital however has "pixelation" which is horrible. B&W pics, low resolution or using ISO1600 film, you get a lot of grain, but I'd have to say it's great character. Pixelation is just flat out ugly..

There is also another problem with digital that is not mentioned. 35mm replacement, sure. But making optics that will take up a 4x5 or a 8x10 plane, is all but impossible or would cost more then most 3rd world countries. So digital is "here" vs. the 35mm camera, but compared to say 6x6, or 4x5 or 8x10, no way.

I remember I was tempted to buy a copy of playboy (for the articles!!) ;-) But in all seriousness, there was an article about the amount of work needed to do a centerfold. That's taken on an 8x10 large format. You are almost looking at a contact sheet. Digital has a long ways to go before Playboy switches. Interesting articles.

One of the things I did notice about asia vs. America, which asians are more reserved, they seem to have a clearer definition of "art". Almost all the bookstores have "nude photography books", and nobody thinks anything of it. But you almost can't find any in America... or without someone giving you weird stares as if you just whipped out a copy of Hussler.

I don't remember who, but they said "I can't define pornography, but I know it when I see it." So true, and I know art vs. porn when I see it too.. I've seen avid photographers have nude photobooks on their coffee tables, and think it's perfectly acceptable here in Taiwan... but not in America... (or at least LA where I use to live) you'd think it'd be backwards..

Albert