[OM] Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 09:37:15 -0000
------Original message------
>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:35:14 +0100
>From: jochen.schiffler@xxxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Schiffler)
>Subject: Re: OT - Awesome Digital Photography

>A shame there's no digital SLR that eats Zuikos

Ahh, but there is!  I came across this on US Ebay:
  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1944135606
It is an Olympus-OM to Minolta-Maxxum lens adapter, allowing you to fit your
Zuikos to a Minolta Maxxum.  Then all you need to do is buy the Minolta
RD175 digital body that accepts Maxxum lenses.

The downsides are:
(1)  The lens adapter looks as though it contains an optical element
(presumably to extend the focal length slightly in order to give enough
space for the adapter and still achieve infinity focus).
(2)  There would be a multiplication factor for the focal lengths, in
addition to that resulting from the optical element in the adapter.
(3)  Metering would presumably be stop-down metering (although I think that
you would get focus confirmation using manual focus with the Maxxum body).
(4)  The Minolta RD175 is only 1.7 megapixels (I think) -- somewhat backward
by current standards.

-- from Cy in the UK