Re: RE: [OM][OT] Time out for a food...

Subject: Re: RE: [OM][OT] Time out for a food...
From: "Paul Laughlin" <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 22:30:18 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "siddiq" <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 02, 2002 8:57 PM

> err, would anyone mind telling me what exactly chili is? all i can fathom
(from watching the simpsons!) is that it's some sort of bean dish, cooked,
and the hotter the better? what else is in it? i do know that while in
texas, my
> uncle made this awesome thingy, all sorts of beans, slow cooked, thick and
chunky, goes well with crusty bread on a chilly night. wasn't very hot, but
nutritious up the wazoo

Well, there many variations in Chili.  Start with Chile con Carne.  It is
basically made of coarsely ground, or finely cubed beef,  ground red chile
peppers (Chili Powder) and water.  The meat is fried in oil and the ground
chile peppers are added.  Add a little water and simmer for about an hour.
Then there are the additions that many people put in.  I prefer some chopped
onion, myself.  A lot of people insist that it isn't chili, if it does not
have beans in it.  If I add beans, they are pinto beans.  I don't really
like kidney beans.  Most people that make chili, have their own set of
seasonings that they prefer.  The best that I have ever eaten was made by a
Mexican-American from San Antonio, Texas named Carlos Cazares.  He used a
whole chuck roast and made the basic recipe of diced meat, chili powder,
oil, chopped onions and a little water.  He and I ate the whole works, while
watching the football games on a Sunday.  Sure was good.  Spent the next day
wishing for ice cream, though.
Paul in Portland OR