Re: [OM] Xpan theory

Subject: Re: [OM] Xpan theory
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:42:08 +0100
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:22:55AM +0800, Albert wrote:
> I was thinking of the ultimate travel camera; and I was thinking that I
> might just take one lens next time and that's it..  I would love to have
> a 50mm or so, and maybe a 28mm if I took two instead of one.
>
> Then I thought about the xpan.  The more I think about it, the more
> ingenious it is.  With one lens and cheap 35mm film, I can do "real"
> panoramic shots.  With that 45mm, it has the same coverage in pan mode
> as a 28mm.  So a 45mm and a 28mm in one.  Great.

So you don`t have the 'how to fill the emty foreground'-Problem.

> The lenses are slow because they are actually medium format lenses..
> Now check out this thinking..
>
> Because the CCD's are smaller, so the image circle need not be so big,
> what if you had the same setup as the xpan, with CCD's??  That would
> mean (because the CCD's are smaller) that the lenses can be just as
> compact, but faster, and you can have a choice of pan or regular..  Make
> it 14megapixels and have a 3 gig card in there, and you are doing some
> serious travel logs..
>
> If such a camera existed, I would almost certainly be taking that on
> trips instead of an OM....

Hmm, you`d need a non standard pan-size image sensor. You would need
a very high resolution lens with a comparable large image field which
is only partly used, with a very high refraction (= short focal lenght)
 -> Expensive, only a small marked share...

It is easyer to include a software stitimg mode in a standard digital.
Of course most people don`t realize that this leads to a distorted
cylindrical perspective, while the X-pan has normal rectangular perspective.

Frieder Faig