[OM] Lens cleaning - saliva, acetone, sulfuic acid, JP8, et al...

Subject: [OM] Lens cleaning - saliva, acetone, sulfuic acid, JP8, et al...
From: "Brian Haren" <bharen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 14:11:40 -0500
All,

OK, let me put a plug in for the chamoix & lens cleaning solution kit sold
by Deutsche Optik in San Diego (www.deutscheoptik.com).  A clean, washed
chamoix is perhaps the best lens cleaning 'rag' I've ever used, and the
Deutsche Optik solution (which they also use in their optical repair shop)
works better than anything I've ever used (sorry, never had a chance to try
acetone or carbon tet.).  No connection whatever with DO, just plugging a
worthy product.

On an extended note, I do agree that most people clean their lenses too
much.  In over 23 years of photography I've only had 5 shots ruined by
'crud' on the lens, and that was with a digital P&S.  Most of the cleaning
I've found myself doing is to remove rain/water spot residue from my UV
filters (oh, yeah, I once leaned over a birthday cake with an SLR & a 28 -
90 zoom around my neck and found myself cleaning frosting off the lens for
the next hour).

Love this discussion group - it's really helping me get over my Nikon/Leica
addiction!

Brian