[OM] (OT) Concert photography

Subject: [OM] (OT) Concert photography
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:17:02 +1100
> On Sunday, December 1, 2002, at 02:58  PM,
> john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I always shot colour negative (400ASA then) and printed my own.  I
> used no colour balance filter on the camera and did all the
> compensation in the printing.  I found it was better to
> meter a 400ASA film at 320ASA so that the blue sensitive layer was
> fully exposed in the shadows. If it isn't, you get horrible crossed
> curves and it's impossible to print. I suggest you rate the 800
> colour neg materials at no more than 640 ASA for the same reason.

Sorry for asking a generic photography question, but, what do
you mean when you say "crossed curves"? Also, is this a good
general practice for such negative films, regardless of light
conditions (for instance, shooting daylight sports with 400 to get
a fast shutter speed on a slow and better-shut-down lens)?

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz