Re: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?) and body fluids

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens cleaning (acetone a carcinogen?) and body fluids
From: Svein Skjøtskift <svein@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 20:45:13 +0100
dear list:
Acetone is NOT a human carcinogen, but it can have a  lot of other harmful
effects on the body.
And it dissolves rubber products!
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/krubin/MSDS/ACETONE.html
The human body produces a lot of nasty fluids, among others acetone and
hydrochloric acid (in
your stomach). Acetone is contained in the breath of a person with
"ketoacidosis" a sign in
poorly controlled diabetes.

Saliva does not necessarily contain bacteria, nor does urine (it depends on
your hygiene and
state of health). Saliva contains an enzyme that disintegrates starch, so it
can serve as a solvent
for difficult spots. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on glass like a filter
surface, but agree with Rich and
his optician that you should avoid using it on contact lenses. I treat my zuiko
glass as contact
lenses! Urine contains urea (carbamide) that is a component in many skin care
products
(softens the skin). But bathing in it??? Too high a price for eternal beauty,
if you ask me....

svein